Expertise: Chemical Biology, Microbial Genomics, Applied and Environmental Microbiology, Enzyme and Coenzyme Chemistry,
Traditional Chinese Medicine.
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, Tzu Chi University (2011/08 ~ now)
Research Associate, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, University of British Columbia, Canada (2008/3-2011/7)
Associate Professor, Institute of Biotechnology and Department of Chemical Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology (2003/8-2008/2)
Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry, Tamkang University (2002/8-2003/7)
Associate Professor, Department of Biochemistry, China Medical University (1998/12-2002/7)
Visiting Scientist, Institute of Biological Chemistry, Academia Sinica (1999/7-1999/9)
Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, University of Michigan, USA (1996/1-1998/4)
- TJ Ho, CC Hung, TL Shih, LM Yiin,* HP Chen,* "Investigation of borneols sold in Taiwan by chiral gas chromatography." (2017) Journal of Food and Drug Analysis (in press) .
- HL Tsang, JL Huang, YH Lin, KF Huang, PL Lu, GH Lin, AA Khine, A Hu, HP Chen,* "Borneol dehydrogenase from Pseudomonas sp. TCU-HL1 catalyzes the oxidation of (+)-borneol and its isomers to camphor." (2016) Applied and Environmental Microbiology 82, 6378-6385.
- TJ Ho, SJ Jiung,* GH Lin, TS Li, LM Yiin, JS Yang, MC Hsieh, CC Wu, JG Lin, HP Chen,*"The in vitro and in vivo wound healing properties of the Chinese herbal medicine “Jinchuang ointment.” (2016) Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine Volume 2016, Article ID 1654056.
- YA Jin, YJ Chiu, HP Chen, DH Kuo, CC Lu, JS Yang,* "Endoplasmic reticulum stress contributes to arsenic trioxide-induced intrinsic apoptosis in human umbilical mesenchymal and bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells." (2016) Environmental Toxicology 31, 314-28.
- GH Lin, HP Chen, HY Shu,* "Detoxification of Indole by an Indole-Induced Flavoprotein Oxygenase from Acinetobacter baumannii." (2015) PLOS ONE 10(9):e0138798.
- HY Shu, LC Lin, TK Lin, HP Chen, HH Yang, GH Lin,* "Transcriptional regulation of the iac locus from Acinetobacter baumannii by thephytohormone indole-3-acetic acid." (2015) Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology 107, 1237-1247.
- CC Lu, HP Chen, JH Chiang, YA Jin, SC Kuo, TS Wu, MJ Hour, JS Yang,* YJ Chiu, "Quinazoline analog HMJ-30 inhibits angiogenesis: Involvement of endothelial cell apoptosis through ROS-JNK-mediated death receptor 5 signaling." (2014) Oncology Reports 32, 597-606.
- MT Hsieh, HP Chen, CC Lu, JH Chiang, TS Wu, DH Kuo, LJ Huang, SC Kuo,* JS Yang,* "Novel pterostilbene derivative ANK-199 induces autophagic cell death through regulating PI3 kinase class III/Beclin 1/Atg-related proteins in cisplatin-resistant human oral cancer CAR cells." (2014) International Journal of Oncology 45, 782-794.
- JH Huang, and HP Chen,* “A novel capillary electrophoresis-based assay method for coenzyme B6-dependent diaminopimelate decarboxylase from Propionibacterium acnes.” (2013) Analytical Methods 5, 1279-1283.
- HP Chen, SH Zhu, I Casabon, SJ Hallam, FH Crocker, WW Mohn, KJ Indest,* and LD Eltis,* “Genomic and transcriptomic studies of an RDX-degrading actinobacterium.” (2012) Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78, 7798-7800.
- HP Chen, M Chow, CC Liu, Al Lau, J Liu, and LD Eltis,* "Vanillin catabolism inRhodococcus jostii RHA1." (2012) Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78, 586-588.
- GH Lin, HP Chen, JH Huang, TT Liu, TK Lin, SJ Wang, CH Tseng, and HY Shu,* “Identiﬁcation and characterization of an indigo-producing oxygenase involved in indole 3-acetic acid utilization by Acinetobacter baumannii.” (2012) Antonie van Leeuwenhoek Journal of Microbiology 101, 881-890.
- HJ Lin, HJ Hsu, YF Duann, and HP Chen,* “Measurement of the Binding of Adenosylcobalamin to Glutamate Mutase by Fluorescence Spectroscopy.” (2012)Journal of the Chinese Chemical Society 59, 1478-1481.
- KJ Indest,* CM Jung, HP Chen, D Hancock , C Florizone, LD Eltis,* FH Crocker, “Functional Characterization of pGKT2, a 182-Kilobase Plasmid Containing the xplABGenes, Which Are Involved in the Degradation of Hexahydro-1,3,5-Trinitro-1,3,5-Triazine by Gordonia sp. Strain KTR9.”(2010) Applied and Environmental Microbiology 76, 6329-6337.
- CH Hsu,* and HP Chen* “Molecular modeling studies of the conserved B12-binding motif and its variants from Clostridium tetanomorphum glutamate mutase.” (2010)Protein & Peptide Letters 17, 759-764.
- HP Chen,* HJ Hsu, FC Hsu, CC Lai, and CH Hsu, “The interactions between coenzyme B12 analogs and adenosylcobalamin-dependent glutamate mutase from Clostridium tetanomorphum.” (2008) FEBS Journal 275, 5960-5968.
- CH Tseng,CH Yang, HJ Lin, C Wu, and HP Chen,* “The S subunit of D-ornithine aminomutase from Clostridium sticklandii is responsible for the allosteric regulation in D-alpha-lysine aminomutase.” (2007) FEMS Microbiology Letters 274,148-153.
- YP Weng, WS Yang, FC Hsu,and HP Chen,* “Optimization of the overexpression of glutamate mutase S component under the control of T7 system by using lactose and IPTG as the inducers.” (2006) Enzyme and Microbial Technology 38, 465-469.
- FC Hsu, TJ Ho, CC Lai, CF Lin, and HP Chen,* “Cloning, sequencing, expression, and single-step purification of the adenosylcobinamide kinase/ adenosylcobinamide-phosphate guanylyltransferase (CobU) from Salmonella typhimurium ATCC 19585.” (2005) Protein Expression and Purification 42, 178-181.
- HP Chen,* FC Hsui,LY Lin, CT Ren, and SH Wu, “Coexpression, purification, and characterization of the E and S subunits of coenzyme B12 and B6 dependent Clostridium sticklandii D-ornithine aminomutase in Escherichia coli.” (2004) European Journal of Biochemistry 271, 4293-4297.
- HP Chen,* FD Lung, CC Yeh, HL Chen, and SH Wu, “The role of the conserved histidine-aspartate pair in the ‘base-off’ binding of cobalamins.” (2004) Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 12, 577-582.
- HP Chen,* SH Wu, YL Lin, CM Chen, and SS Tsay, “Cloning, sequencing, heterologous expression, purification and characterization of adenosylcobalamin-dependent D-ornithine aminomutase from Clostridium sticklandii.” (2001) Journal of Biological Chemistry 276, 44744-44750.
- HP Chen,* CF Lin, YJ Lee, SS Tsay, and SH Wu, “Purification and properties of ornithine racemase from Clostridium sticklandii.” (2000) Journal of Bacteriology 182, 2052-2054.
- MS Huhta, HP Chen, C Hemann, CR Hille, and ENG Marsh,* “Protein-coenzyme interactions in adenosylcobalamin-dependent glutamate mutase.” (2001) Biochemical Journal 355, 131-137.
- I Roymoulik, HP Chen, and ENG Marsh,* "The Reaction of the Substrate Analog 2-Ketoglutarate with Adenosylcobalamin-dependent Glutamate Mutase." (1999) Journal of Biological Chemistry 274, 11619-11622.
- HP Chen, and ENG Marsh,* "Adenosylcobalamin-dependent glutamate mutase: examination of substrate and coenzyme binding in an engineered fusion protein of possessing simplified subunit structure and kinetic properties." (1997) Biochemistry36, 14939-14945.
- HP Chen, and ENG Marsh,* “How enzyme controls the reactivity of adenosylcobalamin: effect on coenzyme-bindng and catalysis of mutations in the conserved histidine-aspartate pair of glutamate mutase." (1997) Biochemistry 36, 7884-7889.
- DE Holloway, HP Chen, and ENG Marsh,* "Carboxymethylation of MutS-cysteine-15 specificially inactivates adenosylcobalamin-dependent glutamate mutase-examination of the role of this residue in coenzyme-binding and catalysis." (1996) Journal of Biological Chemistry 271, 29121-29125.
- HP Chen, KF Hsaio, SH Wu,* and KT Wang,"Regioselectivity enhancement by partial purification of lipase from Aspergillus niger." (1995) Biotechnology Letters 17, 305-308.
- HP Chen, SH Wu,* and KT Wang, "D-Aminoacylase from Alcaligenes faecalis possesses novel activities on D-Met." (1994) Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry 2, 1-5.
- HP Chen, SH Wu,* YC Tsai, YB Yang, and KT Wang, "Enantioselective deprotection of N-protected amino acids by D-aminoacylase." (1992) Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2, 697-700.
- HP Chen, A Lau, AE Davis, S Zhu, SWM Eng, CG Howes, FH Crocker, KJ Indest, SJ Hallam, and LD Eltis,* (2011) “Complete genome sequence of Gordonia sp. KTR9.” NCBI GenBank Database, Accession Number: CP002907, CP002908, CP002909.
- HP Chen,* Huang JL, Lin YH, (2016) "Complete genome sequence of Pseudomonas sp. TCU-HL1." NCBI GenBank Database, Accession Number: CP015992, CP015993.
- LD Eltis,* TD, Bugg, HP Chen, and P. Sainsbury, “Bacterial biocatalysis of Lignin to Aromatic Feedstocks.” (US Patent pending)
Tzu Chi University